Learn how to use the APHLIS system and how to access all the available types of data by watching this video. Watch the entire video or jump to specific sections with the buttons below.
Please note that the video has no sound. The small videos will skip to the relevant section of the video. You can make the video full screen by clicking the full screen icon at the bottom right of each video.
Ready to test yourself? Try our quiz!
Have a question that is not on the list?
If you have any questions, ideas, or feedback, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See postharvest loss estimates for a region or a country
- Click on the location dropdown and choose a region, country, or department.
- If you cannot see the location you are looking for, or if you want to find it quicker without too much scrolling, start typing the name of the location in the search box.
- To see all available locations, click the × icon next to the currently selected location, or choose 'All APHLIS countries' in the dropdown.
- You can also click on a location in the tables.
Change the year or see all available years
- Click on the year dropdown and choose a different year.
- To see all available years, click the × icon next to the year, or choose 'All years' in the dropdown.
- You can also click on a year in the tables.
- Navigate to the left and right in the tables to see all available years.
- For example, have a look at maize postharvest loss estimates for all countries and all years ›
Change the crop
- Similar to the video chapter about changing the year, you can select the crop you want to focus on in the crop dropdown list at the top of the screen.
- Select a crop by clicking on the list and finding the crop you want to look at.
Explore all the data tabs
- Depending on the selection of country, crop and year, various data tabs are available.
- If there is no data available on a tab, try a more precise selection that includes a crop, country and year.
- Not all country and crop combinations are available, because some crops are only grown in certain countries, or there might be no data for certain crops in certain countries.
- It is also possible that there is no data for specific years. For example, there might be no GDP data available for the most recent years. Or there might be no price data available for certain years. In cases like these, changing the selected year might help.
See postharvest loss estimates as a percentage, in tonnes, or USD
See postharvest loss estimates as the equivalent number of people's annual dietary requirements
Learn about the financial impact of postharvest losses
See the nutritional impact of postharvest losses
Explore the different types of content available in each tab based on the selected data filters
- The more precise your selection is, the more detailed the estimates get.
- For example, if you have selected a country and a year, you will see information about the provinces, states, or departments in that country.
- If you have selected a crop, you can see information about the various harvesting seasons of this crop.
- You can also go to the Overview tab to see an overview of all the information that is available for your data selection.
See how estimates were calculated
- With at least a country selected, you can click on some of the figures in the data table to get more information on the data that was and was not available when calculating the postharvest loss estimate.
- When you click on a table cell, a window appears that shows the reference studies that have been used to generate the estimate.
- If you are viewing a sub-national level estimate, you will see in the window what contextual data was available for the estimate and how well the referenced studies matched the selected location.
- You can also go to the Contextual data tab for a more detailed view of whether data for the estimate was collected or approximated.
Get data references for the APHLIS postharvest loss estimates
- The loss profiles for each crop, value chain stage and climate class are based on loss measurements in the scientific literature.
- To see the references for all the studies that were used, click on the References tab on the right hand side of the screen.
- The loss profiles obtained from scientific studies for each crop are contextualised to fit each individual country crop year context.
- To see the contextual data that was used to calculate the loss estimates, click on the Contextual data tab on the right-hand side of the screen.
Find more detailed information about the data shown in each tab
- For each tab, right next to the legend, you can click on the Info panel.
- Here you will find a more detailed explanation about the data available in the current tab.
- Each data table tab has its own info panel, so make sure to read each one to get a better understanding of the available data and methodology.
Download postharvest loss data
- You can download any table you see on the the data tables pages.
- First, go to the tab that has the table you want to download on it; for example the Value chain table for Ethiopia, all crops, 2021 ›
- On the right hand side of the page, click on the 'Download & share' panel.
- Below the sharing options, you will see links that let you download the table that is visible on the current tab in CSV or XLS format.
- Each table of each individual tab can be downloaded separately.
Change the website language
- Please find the website language indicator in the navigation bar at the top right and click on it.
- To see the website in English, click 'EN'.
- To see it in French, click 'FR'.
- If you are visiting from a device with a smaller screen, tap the menu button at the top right to reveal the navigation menu; the language indicator right under the search bar.